Friday, September 21, 2007

Pediatric Brain Cancer Wall Hanging

I have been writing about a special project that I am helping to coordinate for the Childrens Hospital. It is a VERY special wall hanging for kids in the pediatric brain cancer ward. Many folks from across the world are particapating in this endeavor and I am hoping that more will find it in their schedules and their hearts to join in! The quiltlets are 6 x 8 inches and embellished in an Under The Sea theme. They are then sandwiched with quilt batting, backed and seamed as a normal quilt, packaged up and sent to me. These quiltlets are going to be joined with free standing "fishie" creations at their tips! If you are interested in particapating, please leave a comment here or contact me via email at pinyoncreek@peoplepc.com.

This project is all the more special to me now, as my friend, who is the inspiration for this endeavor, Pamela McCombs, is currently in the hospital with severe head injuries from an auto accident. Pam raises funds for research thru the "Ride for Kids" charity function every year and this last year reached an all time individual contribution high of over $11,000.00 for research for these special kids!

These are some picture of her with some of the kids she has helped, etc. I wanted to put a "face" to the purpose so that folks know that this is a very real project! While it may not help to find a cure, it will bring a smile and I would LOVE to have so many quiltlets that more than a single wall hanging is made and can be shared with other facilities in the world!! Thank you again to all who have joined in! Your blocks are awesome and I know that the children are going to spend many an hour exploring the undersea world we have created!















2 comments:

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Leslie I am soooooooooo sorry to hear about your friend Pamela being injuried. My thoughts and prayers goe out to her and her family. hugs Judy

Susan said...

I'm so sorry about your friend. I hope she is recovering. Brain injuries are so odd - sometimes the worst-sounding ones have the least impact. The brain is a miracle of redundancy that helps. I'm sorry she has to go through this, though, and you, too, as her friend.