Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Stitch combinations

Lou Anne Sassone wrote back to me after my last missive about what some of her favorite stitches are. She doesn't have just one and LOVES to combine them! Which, in truth, is what is at the heart of cq. At least in my book! :_) Anyway.....I read thru her directions, couldn't visualize it....so.....I pulled out my handy dandy doodle cloth and set about figuring this stith combo. I have included it here. I'm still awaiting word from LA as to whether or not it is correct, but even if it isn't, it's still pretty cool and it will be something that I try again. One thing this DID show me is that it's important to keep on practicing those stitches so that they look more refined and distinct. Mine are pretty wobbly!!! LOL!!!
http://flickr.com/photos/pinyoncreek/4277162/
But...again....for playing around it was fun, so i'm not all that unhappy with it. This combo is just a drop in the bucket compared to the gazillion that are out there and I hope to try some more on my block that i'm working on. Some of the combos I like are the buttonhole stitch, varied in lengths, with lazy daisy stitches on top and flowers on top of that, or perle knots. I like to play around with varieties of feather stitches too! This stitch is traditionally found in some of the older pieces that we have had in our family so it kind of gives me a warm feeling to continue the tradtion! Then there's the chain stitch, the herringbone, the cretan, the fern and the list goes on! What your favorite? I'd LOVE to hear!!!

2 comments:

Mary-Frances said...

I think I'm partial to the feather stitch, but I have been having a lot of fun with couching...almost seems like not stitching at all. Of course, being new to this...hmmmmm, could be a new stitch tomorrow! (when is that Brazillian embroidery class! LOL!)

Linda said...

I'm currently besotted with what I call my pink heath stitch - lazy daisy with a long closer, with a fly stitch on top. Hopefully this link to it will work:

http://chloesplace.blogspot.com/2005/01/stitch-combination-1.html

I use it on fetaher stitch, but am wondering what else I can use it on.