Monday, December 29, 2008

Making Memories Quilts

I have been blogging on some of the progress of the quilts that I am putting together for the Making Memories organization. (More closeups can be seen on my Flickr accountI haven't shown all three of them at this stage so I thought I would take a moment today to do just that!

This pic shows one quilt with 25 of the blocks. The center block I am highlighting the wonderful work that was done with a beaded edge around the heart. I will then add some rattail cording that I dyed in potassium permanganate around the interior nine blocks. My next quandry is the finishing binding color, but I discovered some fabric at Jo Annes the other day that will hopefully accent it properly. Blockmakers for this quilt from top left to bottom are: Rita Cruz (KS), Karrin Hurd (CA), Linda Boudreau (Canada), Claudina Hruby (CO), Mary Frances Main (CO); Rita Cruz (KS), LouAnne Sassone (CA), Jill Phillips (CO), Carol Davis (FL), Debbie Quirion (Maine); Lyn Gaskil (TX), Susan Morehouse (CO), Thelma Bradshaw , Betsy Pruitt (CO), Debbie Smith (OR); Melisa Bakos (Canada), Diane Miller (NY), Lauri Burgessor (CO), Linda Boudreau (Canada), Mary Frances Main (CO); Martha Everett (CO), Kerry Leslie (Canada), Connie Kalina (CO), Lyn Gaskil (TX), Kim Stenehjem (ND)




The next pic shows the smaller of the three quilts. I was gifted with some gorgeous blue taffeta which I used for the border. The block makers are (from the top left to right) Marya Blackwell (CA), Denise Collins (Canada), Cathy Kizerian (UT) ; Hideko Ishida (Japan), Sandi Mannen, (WA), Gerry Krueger (WA); Diane Ransom (CA), Maire Courtney (NY), Marya Blackwell (CA)







It was a bit too dramatic, so i've added some of the lace from one of the dresses which creates a nice scalloped look I think!


Then, there is my problem child quilt. The story of this will have to wait a bit (see the upcoming issue of cqmagonline) but I wanted to show where I am at with it. There is still some tweaking to be done on the interior portion, but has come a LONG way!

Block makers from top left to right are: Sherry Klemmt (WA), Debbie Quirion (Maine), Linda Harrington (MD), Lynn Schoeffler (CA), Julia Schneider (Germany), Jo Newsham (New Zealand); Hideko Ishida (Japan), Belinda Sweeney (Australia); Jill Phillips (CO), Debbie Smith (OR); Susan Morehouse (CO), Kerry Leslie (Canada); Jo Newsham (New Zealand), Karen South (KY); Janet Popish (CO), Karrin Hurd (CA); Hideko Ishida (Japan), Simona Tedeschi (Italy) , Clairee Meeks (WA), Janet Popish (CO) DISCLAIMER: I'm still working on the names on this quilt. It had to be taken apart and as I reassemble I will straighten this out! Sorry bout that!






I'm now back at the needle working to finish these gems up. I've been doing LOTS of consulting with Allie about this center and reading her blog tutorials on putting a quilt together so i'm feeling more confident now. I also want to thank Lynn Schoeffler for all her help with this beasty! Her encouragement, design saavy and color sense are a tremendous help to me! Also there is Jo, Hideko and Kerry from CQI that have helped with their expertise on these quilts as well! Thank you so much EVERYONE!!!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leslie, you are truly an angel for putting these quilts together. The word GO-A-JUS comes to mind!!! love ya, Debbie (Maine)

Rengin Yazitas said...

Gorgeous work, Leslie.
This is a great job, you're an angel, as Debbie alrweady said so.
Looking forward to see the outcome of this fantastic quilt:)
Happy New Year!!!
Rengin

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Hello Leslie, I think all three quilts are absolutely gorgeous and you are doing a lovely job of putting them together. You are certainly a sweetie to to have taken on such a big project but I am sure they will raise heaps of money. I especially love the lace you used on the blue border. Hugs Judy

Anonymous said...

That's so beautiful! Let's me know how long it's been since I had a chance to go around the blogs! What beautiful work you have put together here.

Thelma said...

You have done a beautiful job Leslie! I am from Arkansas, I saw you didn't have that marked.

Anonymous said...

Yes you are one in a million an ANGEL Leslie!
Beautifully put together and the finishing touches you have added are the icing on the cake.
Congratulations to all the women who did this beautiful sewing too...its awesome.
Hugs Pam UK

Unknown said...

leslie just beautiful work. I have not saw them since they were put together and they are wonderful. Congratulations my friend...Hey Leslie you did it!!!!!! But there was never a doubt.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Those are just beautiful! The work is astounding!

Candi said...

Amazing and gorgeous work you've put together!
hugz:)

kerrykatiecakes2 said...

Hi Leslie! Love the quilts of course but I have ulterior motive for commenting - I'm tagging you for the 6 Picture Meme. You can check it out at my blog at:
http://kerrykatiecakes2.blogspot.com/2009/01/6-picture-meme.html
You'll also get to see a cute picture of Duke!
Hugs,
Kerry